Project 4 Letter to an Elected Official
Letter to an elected official
Reflect upon a public policy issue or topic in public affairs that you have interest in.
Write to your representatives at the Federal or State level.
The link to the website below has some guidelines that you should follow to write an effective letter.
Please see me for guidance on your topic and review of your letter. The link to the website below has some guidelines that you should follow to write an effective letter.
Project 3 - Political Cartoon Profile
Requirements: On two separate pages profile 2 political cartoons.
Name - top left
Date - top right
Prominently profile your cartoon of choice.
Address the following.
1. What is the cartoonist trying to convey? Do you think the cartoonist makes his or her point effectively? Why or why not?
2. How does the cartoon attempt to influence public opinion?
3. Who would have agreed or disagreed with this cartoon?
4. Identify key concepts from the course within the cartoon -use bullet points
Cite your source using citethisforme.com and use the Chicago style format (bibliography citation required)
Below are some links to consider.
Project 2 Research a Special Interest Group
Your handout should meet the following criteria
1. Identify your special interest group
2. Share the total amount of $ they spent influencing elections
3. Include the percentages of contributions allocated to the two major parties
4. Explain what your interest group is for and what they are against
5. List 5 key things that you learned about your interest group.
Project 1= Profile a member of the House of Representatives
Primary Research Website: Opensecrets.org * Note that for these 2 projects everything will be based on the 2016 election cycle as all of the data is complete.
Students will be assigned a number 1-27 based on their alphabetical order in my class roster. Students will research their member of congress. All districts are from the NY Delegation Ex NY-1 Lee Zeldin NY-21 Elise Stefanik Visit house.gov/representatives to find your member of the house.
Create a handout (2 Page Maximum)
1. Display the Name & Picture of your congressional representative. Indicate (D) or (R) or 3rd party. Indicate how long they have been serving. Ex - 2008 to present.
2. Indicate the committee(s) they belong to. In your own words provide a brief description of the committee's focus
3. Cut & Paste the TOP 5 Industries that contribute to your representative. Is there a correlation between the committee they belong to and the industries that contribute to them? If so provide a brief explanation.
4. Include a Pie chart from the website regarding the sources of $$$ ex- small donors, large donors, pacs, etc.
5. Find 3 pieces of legislation they sponsored. Provide a brief description in YOUR OWN WORDS.
6. Include a map of the congressional district they represent. Gerrymandered? Yes, no, maybe?
Assignment – 1 Article Reflection
1. They must be CLEARLY related to GOVT
a. Part I – In your own words summarize the facts of the article. Provide an overview of the key topics, or a description highlighting the main points.
b. Part II – In your own words explain how it relates to the course your enrolled in.
c. Part III – What do you think about the topic… do you agree, disagree, or do you have thoughts on the topic? Provide an analysis of the issue or issues and provide your opinion and provide support for it
2. The articles must be from the following categories.
You may also use the school library search engines as a resource to search by topic or to access and article from a newspaper or magazine with a subscription requirement ex- Wall Street Journal.
1. Your name will appear on the Top of the page in the left hand corner.
2. The date of completion will appear on the top right hand corner.
3. Double spaced (typed)
4. Size 13 font (Arial) 1 Page Minimum
5. Avoid articles over a year old.
6. 400 word minimum 700 word maximum. Find articles that you can write enough about.
7. Cite your source using citethisforme.com and use the Chicago style format (bibliography citation)
No "Files" exist(s)
No "Homework" exist(s)